What are roof coatings?
A roof coating gives a commercial structure’s roof the ability to contract, expand, and retract as with the temperature and weather conditions. This keeps the roofing membrane from cracking, rupturing, tearing, or coming loose.
The typical life of a commercial building’s roof is between 10 to 50 years. This is based on the type of roofing material, the climate, the maintenance, and upkeep of the roof. , With a professionally installed, quality roof coating providing that extra layer of protection, you could get another 5 to 10 years before needing a roof replacement.
There are different types of roof coating products, not all are compatible to all roof types. It is important to know what each roof coating does so that you have the right one installed on your roof:
- Acrylic Roof Coating: An acrylic roof coating provides UV protection for commercial roofing with sprayed urethane foam roofing.
- Silicone Roof Coating: A silicone roof coating is an elastic material providing an excellent adhesion and is weather resistance that stays flexible with the original roofing.
- Polyurethane Roof Coating: A polyurethane roof coating provides impact resistance and holds up to foot traffic.
- Elastomeric Roof Coating: A liquid coating, elastomeric is good for concrete, membranous, or metal roofing and is applied like paint, providing excellent weather protection.
Does roof coating stop leaks?
Some roof coating materials will top roof leaks. With the roof betting the brunt of harsh weather and UV rays, it needs to be waterproof and weatherproof. A roof coating will enhance the waterproofing, but not all roof coating are going to be effective ins stopping leaks. Any roof coating that says it stops roof leaks is also dependent on the condition of the existing roof.
Any problematic or questionable roof issues should be corrected before any type of roof coating is installed. While roof coating makes a roof watertight, it shouldn’t be used for the soul purpose or stopping leaks.
What is silicone roof coating?
A silicone roof coating system is liquid material applied in one or two coating by rolling on or spraying on. It fill blisters, cracks, and seams to add an extra protection layer to the existing roof but will not improve the insulation or the underlying system.
Silicone roof coating saves money by eliminating the need to tear off the existing roof and getting a new roof too soon, so this saves your money by extending the roof’s lifespan. It saves money with reduced energy cost too.
What is elastomeric roof coating used for?
There are different kinds of elastomeric roof coatings. Each of these roof coatings have a distinct roof coating application:
- Acrylic Elastomeric Roof Coating: for sloped roofs
- Butyl Elastomeric Roof Coating: for builtup PVC roofing and single ply roofing
- Polyurethane Elastomeric Roof Coating: for EPDM rubber, modified bitumen, and single-ply roofs
- Silicone Elastomeric Roof Coating: for polyurethane foam roofing
The intended design of elastomeric roof coating is mainly to seal and protect the underlying roofing from external damage from leaks, weathering, and other issues. Elastomeric roof coating is non-toxic and provide heat reflexive properties, VOC protection, and is UV resistance.
Is elastomeric roof coating waterproof?
An elastomeric roof coating that is applied to an existing roof that is in good condition will make it water-repellent and water-resistant, sealing it from moisture while protecting against things like fungi and mildew.
How much roof coating do I need?
On the average, a 5 gallon bucket of elastomeric roof coating will cover approximately 250 to 350 with two coats. To get an estimate of how much roof coating your structure will need, estimate the roof’s total square footage. This is done by measuring the length and width of each roof plane, including any dormers. Then, multiply the length times the width and the sum will be square footage of each plane.
So, just what are an elastomeric roof coating benefits? When installed by an experienced, professional roofing contractor, you can expect the following benefits or an elastomeric roof coating:
- A Longer Life Span: An elastomeric roof coating will add a seamless layer over the existing roofing system, protecting it from the strong UV rays and pollutants. A single application of this roof coating is estimated to add another 20 years life to your roof.
- Energy Efficiency: A commercial structure’s roofing system will absorb the heat from direct sunlight. With an elastomeric white roof coating, it will reflect sunlight and the solar heat that generates. With less heat being absorbed by the roof, the need for cooling is minimized, thus saving you on your energy costs and the lifespan of the HVAC system.
- Element Protection: Where there are hurricanes, severe storms, and strong winds, an elastomeric roof coating will protect it against any water seeping into the substrate.
- Easy Maintenance and Repairs: Maintenance on roof that has elastomeric roof coating is minimal and repairs are easy. Simply reapply the roof coating on damaged areas, no need to remove or scrap the damaged area and create waste.
Elastomeric roof coating can assist in keeping your roof at its best for years to come. Need roof coating in Fort Wayne, IN? Call (260) 248-7020 today!