Reliable and Efficient Services
Institutional, industrial roofing, and commercial roofing are typically flat roofs; for this article, we’ll refer to them as an industrial roof. They are found as a built-up roof, BUR, or a modified single-ply roof. Both can be an expensive industrial roof installation or industrial roof repair.
Because of the expense that these flat roofs can cost, more industrial building owners are considering rooftop gardens or solar panels when their building needs industrial roof repair or installation. The rooftop gardens allow the company to do its part in reducing urban island heat, while solar panels are a way they can do their part to help the environment while helping their utility costs.
So, when it comes to industrial roof repair, the owner wants to get the most for their money with a profitable ROI when possible. Is a rooftop garden or solar panels the best for the most ROI possible? If not, then What’s the best commercial roofing material?
Which is better EPDM or TPO?
EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) is a synthetic rubber developed from oil and natural gas. When the ethylene propylene (gas) is combined with an unsaturated hydrocarbon alkene that contains two carbon-to-carbon double bonds), a flexible membrane we refer to as EPDM is made. This roofing material comes in black but has a white laminated topping available for UV reflectiveness.
TPO (Thermoplastic Polyolefin) comes from a large family of rubber roofing materials, including polypropylene and ethylene-propylene rubber. A common choice for commercial roofing today because of the cost and the UV reflectiveness. TOP roofing tends to shrink and pull from curbs and seams, which would make EPDM the better and most popular choice, even with a higher price point, because of less need for industrial roof repair.
Are metal roofs suitable for low-pitch roofs?
Yes, in fact, low pitch metal roofs have become the preferred roof covering for industrial roofing. Metal is strong against the elements and drains water away better than other roofing material options. Other attributes that draw more people to this roofing material are long lifespan, low maintenance, 100% recyclable, lightweight material, and it can withstand high winds when installed correctly. Metal roofing is the one that will need less industrial roof repair of all roofing materials.
How long should a commercial roof last?
With proper installation, industrial roof repair, and maintenance, commercial roofing can last for many years. After a commercial roof has been installed, routine maintenance and make industrial roof repairs as needed will prolong the lifespan. Certain factors prolong or shorten a commercial roof’s life:
- The Installation – When the installation process has corners cut, and the job is rushed, the lifespan is shortened.
- The Slope – A flat roof will have more ponding and pooling in low spots, making them likely for damage and leaks. A slight slope is a must to have fewer industrial roof repair needs and a longer lifespan.
- The Ventilation – Every roof, industrial or residential, needs adequate ventilation in the attic space below to prevent heat and moisture build-up. The summer temperatures and the hot UV rays creating a baking atmosphere in the attic bakes the roofing materials, creates a build-up of moisture that leads to mold and rot.
- The Maintenance – Routine inspections and proper maintenance are a must to prevent small issues from becoming major problems, including have proper industrial roof repairs when needed. Neglect of a commercial roof is the enemy of having a healthy roof with a long lifespan.
- The Weather – Industrial roofing is abused by harsh weather because of the high impact with direct damage results. Hail and high winds are the most significant culprits to industrial roofing material, along with the daily UV rays.
With these facts in mind, you can expect alifespan for the following commercial roofing materials:
- TPO, Thermoplastic polyolefin, can have a lifespan of up to 30 years.
- EPDM, Ethylene propylene diene terpolymer, can have a lifespan for 35 years.
- PVC, Polyvinylchloride, lifespan has been known to last up to 30 years.
- Metal roofing on industrial buildings can last 45 years.
- Asphalt roofing can have a lifespan of up to 40 years.
What is the best material for a low-pitch roof?
Across the country, most roofing contractors will agree that because it is more durable than other roofing materials options, the Best industrial roofing material is EPDM (ethylene propylene diene methylene) for flat, low-sloped roofs.
Closing Words – Repairs and Replacement – When Are They Needed
Maintaining an industrial building is vital to a business, so it is vital to ensure that the building stays in good condition, including the roof. The following are signs that a monthly visual inspection finds will tell you the service of a professional roofing contractor with industrial roofing experience is needed for industrial roof repairs or replacement.
Bubbles: Usually, the result of moisture being trapped has evaporated under the roofing material, resulting in blistering or bubbles.
Sagging: Any roof, even industrial roofing, should not be uneven.
High Energy Bills: An industrial roof provide a certain level of insulation year-round. If the cooling bills or heating bills have “gone through the roof,” time to call a professional roofing contractor to access the need for industrial roof repairs or replacement.
Interior Moisture: One strong indication of industrial roof repairs or replacement may be needed when there is water dripping from the ceiling, down walls, and water stains on the ceiling.
Drains Clogged: A flat roof is never 100% flat, and there should be some drainage in place. If your monthly inspections find ponding or pooling water, check the drains making sure they are clear.
Gaping Seams: Industrial roofs have waterproof materials over their decking that have seams. Those seams sometimes pull apart, making the roof susceptible to leaking.
Flashings Failed: The flashings are essential components of any roof because they act as sealing between the joint areas on the structure. If they are bent, damaged, or missing, a professional industrial roof repair is needed.
Age of Roof: If all we have mentioned is well, pay attention to the age of the roof. When it has reached the age we listed earlier, it may be time to have a new roof installed.